Hello Home Organization
Happy 2012! Hope everyone had a great start to the new year! I love this time of year. I feel so productive and motivated. Not like in December where all I wanted to do was go home and eat cookies.
This year is all about getting my grown up life organized/simplified/de-cluttered! Here are a few areas around my house in need of attention:
- I have got to start keeping better track of my finances, my insurance, my benefits. I am now totally responsible for too many important documents. It's time to implement a filing system. I want a file or folder for banking, benefits, doctor/dentist, cell phone, vehicle, etc. I love Emily's office featured on her blog Cupcakes and Cashmere. She has no clutter and a great color coded system:
- I'm embarrassed to admit that there is still a box that I have not unpacked (pushed into the corner so it doesn't taunt me). I moved in April.... uh... that is not ok!
- There are also drawers in my desk that I never open (which means the contents are likely not important and could therefore make room for the pile of stuff on top.
- My laundry room scares me-literally, I worry a murderer is going to jump out at me from the clutter! Something must be done!
- I have too much stuff! Too many clothes that I don't wear any more. Too many bottles of old nail polish. Too many nick-knacks that get in the way and then get shoved into cramped desk drawers. Time to go!
- I hardly ever wear jewelry except for my standard earrings or pearls because it's such a pain to actually get to it all and then I have to detangle! I want to put together something like this for my closet:
- I got a sewing machine for Christmas and I would love to have space to actually use it. My crafting in general has taken a serious hit since I lost my craft closet from my old apartment.
- I just ordered this cute trunk from Target (thanks family for the gift cards!) and I am going to use it to hold extra blankets and sheets that take up too much room in my closet. I am either going to put it at the foot of my bed or use it as a coffee table. I can't wait for it to arrive!
I realize I never did a Home Tour after I moved up to DC. After I knock out a few of these projects I will definitely do an update!