my visit to the other side of the country - part 2

I was really looking forward to last Saturday out in Washington because there was an Ortho department picnic. This was planned to give the three new guys and gal a chance to meet everyone they'd be working with and vice-versa. We really lucked out that it was taking place the same weekend I was in town otherwise T.J. would have been the only single dude there. It also gave me a chance to meet the other ortho wives and I was excited to learn that they all plan get togethers each month! Yay, built in community!

The picnic was in a neighborhood clubhouse. There were hamburgers and hot dogs on the grill, beers on ice, other residents, their families, and little ones running about. I was introduced around and then we broke out the corn hole set that I got T.J. for his graduation- it's already paying off!

It was a beautiful and sunny afternoon that we didn't want to end, so afterwards we hopped in the car and drove up to Point Defiance Park. We'd heard it was a cool spot with a great view but when we arrived we were immediately overwhelmed by the size of it! Aside from the spectacular view of the harbor, there is a zoo, an aquarium, begonia forests, tons of space to bring picnic or throw around a football, a beach, and a marina where you can rent kayaks and boats.

We decided to walk along the water and I was able to snap some great pictures of Mt. Rainier. Truly the best view of this volcano is from base because it's basically unobstructed. But I never had my camera on me when we drove past so I was excited to have a clear sky day to take it in. It is simply breathtaking, a photo doesn't do it justice. I can't believe there is an active volcano right there!
We continued our walk along the water, even spotting a seal swimming alongside, but soon decided we were pretty hungry and since T.J. had been really excited to take me to the commissary that's where we headed next. Our little town doesn't have it's own grocery store, probably because everyone in the area shops at the commissary, so I was eager to see where I'd be doing my shopping. We like to play this game where T.J. tells me what all groceries he's bought at the commissary and I try to guess how much it costs. I always guess wrong so I'm pretty excited to get my own military id and be able to shop there. 

While we were there, we picked up a rotisserie chicken and some vegetables which we sauteed and threw on top of pasta for dinner. We had our second "picnic" that day when we ate our dinner on a box on the floor. I was pretty pleased with our first supper fixed together in our house. 
After dinner we got a call from one of T.J.'s fellow resident's inviting us to meet up with her and her husband for a drink over by their house. Eager for us to have some people out here we didn't hesitate to say yes. We got to sit outside on the patio at Engine House 9 and enjoy the late sunset again with new friends.

We parted ways but not for too long as we decided to meet up again for brunch on Sunday which, thanks to the World Cup and a crowded pub, turned into more of a lunch. Somehow after that, T.J. agreed to go do a little furniture shopping so we headed to my favorite store, Target, to pick up a few things on our very long house list. The number one item was bar stools as we'd already established that we had no place to sit and eat a meal. We also picked up a rake and spent a little time tidying up our yard before attempting to assemble the stools.

After I mis-read the instructions no less than 3 times we finally put together the first stool and then had to take a break. Isn't there some saying about assembling furniture being a good test for your relationship? Well if so, I think we passed with flying colors. And I love our new stools!
We were pretty worn out after that so we walked into town and treated ourselves to some much deserved fro-yo. It was a perfect last full day in the Pacific Northwest. The next morning T.J. had to go in to the hospital bright and early and I got showered and packed up in the meantime. 

All too soon it was time for him to take me back to the airport. I really just did not want to leave one tiny bit. I am so ready to be out there with him. I'm ready to move my life and join it to his. I want to make our house a home. I want him to come home after a day of work and tell me all about it while we eat dinner at our bar with our new stools. I love that now when we talk on the phone and he tells me he's watering the grass I can picture it in my head. I can see him standing in the driveway with the hose. I can see him sitting on the futon with his laptop or fixing himself dinner in the kitchen. And I can so clearly envision myself out there with him and I'm just ready for it to start. My first taste of my new life was just so good. This is going to be so much fun! 


  1. Looks like such an amazing trip! I so want to see Mt. Rainier! Gorgeous.

  2. Mt. Rainier is breathtaking in your photos, so I can only imagine how beautiful it is in person. Wow. Love your new bar stools!! So happy you got to go out for a few days, and already have new friends. I'm very excited for you!!

  3. The view!! Beautiful!! Can't wait to see it in person and for you to be there too. After a fabulously fun wedding of course : )

  4. Oh, you will be living in a beautiful area of the US for sure. My husband's sister lives in Tacoma so we've been there to visit and just love the area. You have so much to look forward to and it will all be here before you know it.


Post a Comment