Wednesday, August 31, 2011
Monday, August 29, 2011
Sunday, August 28, 2011
Friday, August 26, 2011
Fortunately my parents are rock stars and my family loves me so much. They love me so much, in fact, that my amazingly selfless uncle went twice to the DMV in South Carolina on my behalf. They fed-exed, faxed and got it together when I couldn't. I will be going back to the DMV on Monday equipped with everything I can possibly ever need ever, and I will be prepared to duel (cry and beg and plead my case) with any agent there who tries to deny me my vehicle registration or a Maryland license! And hopefully this will be my last post about the DMV!
Fortunately I don't need to drive anywhere this weekend. In fact, I will be heading out town (on the run from Irene??) and heading to Young Life camp for the DC Metro Area Leadership Weekend! I am so excited but also really nervous because I really don't know but one person going (that I'm aware of- you never know with Young Life, it's totally 3 degrees of separation).
I have been praying a lot about getting back into leading YL and on Wednesday I met with the area director. He reassured me that it's totally possible to be involved and still have a full time job, multiple leaders do! In fact, the people who I'm carpooling with are all in the same boat. I will be meeting them at the metro after we all get off work and I am sure we will be fast friends by the time we get to camp!
Wish me luck! Hopefully the fact that I'm the new girl and don't know anyone wont be too intimidating for me! Heck, I've been the new girl plenty of times before- I can handle it!
Thursday, August 25, 2011
I used sunflowers and red carnations that I bought cheap from the flower vendor right outside the metro to bring in more red and yellow. I know carnations aren't the best but they filled their purpose and the amazingly huge sunflowers more that made up for them!
Wednesday, August 24, 2011
Friday, August 19, 2011
But really does anyone ever have a good experience with the DMV? I have yet to hear of such tales. They are total fantasy.
I have put off going to the DMV because, well, do I really need to explain why I've put it off? Anyways, it's really been a logistical issue. The DMV offices do not make it easy, big shock there! They are only open until 4:30 during the week and on the weekends they don't offer all their services- i.e. they don't offer the services I need!
I need to get a MD drivers license (the one thing I can do on the weekend) and I need to get my car titled and registered in MD (the main thing I need to do but can't do on the weekend).
There is a lot of pressure to get this done because my tags expire THIS MONTH! And I wont tell you what happens when you don't renew your tags on time- it is not pretty! ugh.
I've resigned myself to the fact that Saturday morning at the DMV is not going to be nice, and I've also accepted that a second trip there will likely have to take place during the week but I will get through it! Because... I have my Sunday night Hillsongs concert to look forward to!!!
Thursday, August 18, 2011
Back in April I started a new job. I am the Meeting and Events Assistant at a BIG law firm in the city! I basically organize all the daily goings on with catering and conferences and client meetings, and on top of that I plan larger firm wide events and functions for outside groups, in our space and off-property. It's a big job, and my boss is currently on maternity leave until July so I am busy- but I really do enjoy it!
Next week we have a wine and cheese type of event that I am responsible for putting together. I came up with a Nautical/Chesapeake Bay theme! These types of events are my favorite part of my job because they are just for fun. That means I get to more be creative! I am currently trying to come up with simple, not over the not, non-tacky decorations for this event.
I started with the below image and incorporated it into the e-vite that went out:
I really like these sailing flags and am considering crafting some to string across the bar. I plan to stick with that color theme-red, navy, white and yellow/gold- for flowers and table cloths as well.
(all images from pinterest, where else?)
I'll be sure to post pictures of the final decorations after the event. Any cute and classy little nautical touches you come across, send them my way!
Wednesday, August 17, 2011
1. Using what's in your fridge right now, what sort of meal would you be able to make for guests who show up right now?
Um... not a whole lot. They could have a turkey and cheese sandwich (but on a bagel) with a pickle and sweet potato fries.
2. What is something about yourself that you hope will change but probably never will?
Never say never, but I'm pretty positive I will never be able to break the compulsion to re-write my notes or letters or lists over and over until it looks perfect (in my eyes). I waste so much paper and give my hand cramps. In school this was a real problem because I would spend time in class re-writing yesterday's "sloppy" notes. Most of the time now, I try to use a pencil first and then write over it in pen once I'm satisfied. Still though, jotting down a quick, "went to the store be back in a minute," takes at least 3 tries.
3. What is something about yourself that you hope will never change!
I love to try new things, be adventurous, and attempt to be spontaneous. So, I really hope I never get so stuck in my ways that I'm too scared or too lazy to do something different or go somewhere new or meet new people!
4. Do you usually send serious or funny greeting cards.
It obviously depends on the occasion, and the receiver. I've started picking up cards in stores that I like even if I don't have an occasion to send them. Good cards are hard to find when you need them. I love Curly Girl Designs for cute, fun and unique cards, both serious and funny. Also, the other day I ordered some super cute blank note cards (and some adorable address labels and some other goodies) from Erin Condren.
5. Bird watching, shell seeking, or star gazing, what is your preference for willing away the hours?
Shell seeking! I could easily walk up and down the beach for hours, with my feet in the water and my eyes on the ground looking for pretty shells and chatting with a beach buddy.
6. Do you double or triple check things? If so what?
I think you know from my answer to #2 that I do. And yet still somehow I let blog posts go out with typos....
7. What's your favorite place for people watching.
The mall, with my sister, while eating an Auntie Anne's pretzel.
8. Have I mentioned that I love my roommates??
Monday, August 15, 2011
Last Wednesday we got the shocking news that Anna has AML Leukemia. No warning, no real signs, nothing can ever really prepare you for this kind of news. Anna, though, has been amazingly positive, upbeat, and has shown faith unwavering. I am fully confident in the Lord's strength and I know that he is using Anna and this crappy situation to glorify Him! So I am going to be positive, praising God and remain unwavering in my faith, like her! I know that God can remove all the cancerous cells with one breath! So I ask you all to pray for her by name and pray confidently!
Friday, August 12, 2011
Tomorrow I am driving out to my aunt and uncles house to spend some much needed time with the family. I hate that we all live so spread out from one another. If you are lucky enough to be surrounded by relatives, don't forget to count your blessings. Time with family is spirit-lifting/smile-restoring/laughter-inducing and totally necessary!
Now I am linking up with Paw Prints and Pastry Bags for another Pinnable-Me Friday and sharing some prettiness to go into the weekend with:
Tuesday, August 9, 2011
- My roommate and I just bought lawn tickets to see Hillsong United on August 20th! I am sooo excited!
- This past weekend Peter and I "discovered" the wonders of a little service called Take Out Taxi. It's a 3rd party delivery service that lets you order from restaurants all over town and they deliver it for you. Often they are restaurants that don't do delivery. It's just a whole 'nother way for us to enjoy lazy weekends! We enjoyed California Pizza Kitchen while watching Grumpy Old Men.
- The rioting in London is just breaking my heart. It's completely out of control and I am scared for the places that are dear to my heart. I've been following it pretty closely today and there are rumors and threats against the burrough where I went to school. Hopefully they stay as rumors.
- I semi-watched Bachelor Pad last night. It's a whole new low for this show. I don't think I'll be following this season. There is no one I like on it! (But I guess that's never stopped me before).
- Yesterday I re-read The Help in preparation for the movie coming out TOMORROW! I first read it at Christmas and it's was just a fabulous the second time around. I cannot wait to get a group of girls together and go see it!
- Lately I am really, really missing Young Life. My favorite team has been blowing up my facebook newsfeed with tagged pictures from their trip to Crooked Creek Camp with my favorite high-schoolers. I praying about ways to get involved and volunteer with YL up here.
And that's all folks!
Monday, August 8, 2011
Friday, August 5, 2011
Thursday, August 4, 2011
I went to Mimosa in Dupont Circle and it was fabulous! I just walked in and got seated right away (after I'd spent about 10 minutes trying to pick out my colors, of course) even though it was really busy. Then, the best part, they give you FREE champagne!
Is there a better way to end a day of work/a better way to get a manicure or pedicure? I only wish I'd had all my girlfriends there along with me! I ended up getting Essie Mademoiselle on my nails and Essie Peach Daiquiri on my toes!(Please excuse this incredibly close shot of my freaky feet...) Do you want to know the second best part of Mimosa? It was under $40! And, I also saw a sign that said "Happy Hour 2-7 $25 for Gel Manicure!" I've never gotten a gel manicure before (Shellac is one brand) so I will definitely be going back for that! For those of you in D.C, it's such a fun girly place. And they're not even giving me free mani/pedis to say this!
Wednesday, August 3, 2011
"Looking on, she sings the song. The words she knows the tune she hums..."
I yelled at the TV alot during the Bachelorette finale.
I don't think you need money or fame to be happy. And I don't think that they can buy happiness but I do think you can have money or be famous and still be happy.
4. What is your favorite dish to prepare for for family or friends that doesnt require turning on the stove, oven or grill?
I've only made it once but it is definitely impressive and would be so fun to show up at a dinner party with and it requires no cooking, just cutting. Found the inspiration on pinterest, where else?
5. The first week of August is National Simplify Your Life Week. What is one thing you could do this week to simplify your life and will you do it? I suppose I could take care of getting my car registered in Maryland and getting my new Maryland license. I suppose that checking that off my list would simplify my life.... but is it just me or does it the thought of spending all Saturday morning at the DMV make anyone else feel nauseous??
8. Shout out- Happy Birthday to my dear friend Catherine! Can't wait to celebrate some more this weekend!